post

BFA: Botswana won’t participate in U20 COSAFA Cup


by
Staff Reporter

Thursday Nov 09, 2017. 15:00


The Botswana national under-20 side will not be participating in the 2017 U20 COSAFA Cup.

Zambia are set to host the youth tournament which is scheduled for Kitwe between December 6-16.

The Botswana Football Association (BFA) has made a decision to take a gap year from the regional competition.

The association released the following statement:

A statement read: “Botswana Football Association National Executive (NEC) has made a decision to take a gap year from the COSAFA Under 20 championships. NEC’s position is that the Under 20 is at a level where the direction of our football should be taking a shape.

“However, NEC’s evaluation shows that recent performances do not positively define our direction. The vision of the NEC is to have an Under 20 Team that competes more than participates. The Technical Department has been tasked with using development structures to groom a team that will compete with a long term goal in mind.

“The BFA’s Strategy demands that there should be a long term plan that will see a team that should be able to compete at the 2018 Africa Zone 5 games and in the same year compete in the 2018 COSAFA under 20 championships. We believe that this same team should compete to qualify for the African and World Under 20 Championships in 2019 and ultimately qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic games.

“The decision to take a gap year will help create a pool of players and prepare our self to achieve the set milestones in line with our Strategy as well as that of the Botswana National Sports Commission of 2028.”



Source link

post

We won’t make life easy for Pirates


Kudakwashe Mahachi of Golden Arrows

by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Oct 25, 2017. 20:00


Golden Arrows winger Kudakwashe Mahachi says his team “are not going to make life easy” for Orlando Pirates in the Telkom Knockout this weekend.

Arrows, who are unbeaten in the league this season and only exited the MTN8 on penalties against Bidvest Wits, will host the Buccaneers at Princess Magogo Stadium on Saturday afternoon for a round of 16 clash in South Africa’s equivalent of the League Cup.

The Durban side will be looking to avenge their loss at the hands of Pirates in the same cup competition last year.

“The MTN8 we lost against Bidvest Wits on penalties, but we did well and now there’s a chance to play another cup against Orlando Pirates,” Mahachi is quoted by KickOff.

“You know Orlando Pirates is a big team in South Africa, but we are not going to make life easy for them as we are a small team.

“It was painful to lose to them last season in the same competition, but we are eager this time to change things around.”

The Zimbabwean believes that the consistency in management and playing staff from last season to this has been the secret behind their success thus far.

“We are happy as a team. We kept our squad from last season and in the second half of last season we were doing well,” he explained.

“So this is continuation of where we left off. I think we also have to give credit to the coaches and the management for keeping the core of the team.

“So, with that said, I think we are going to do better than last season. But we are not putting into our head that we’ve started well. We are pushing as a small team.”



Source link

post

Young Nigerian duo won’t make the cut for Man United’s League Cup clash


by
Graeme Jackson

Tuesday Oct 24, 2017. 17:00


The young Nigerian duo of Tosin Kehinde and Matthew Olosunde will not be included in Manchester United’s squad for their League Cup clash against Swansea City tonight.

The 19-year-old Kehinde has impressed for United’s U-23 team so far this season, but having played a full match against Liverpool on Monday night he will not be called up to Jose Mourinho’s first team.

Another set to miss the cut is American youth international Olosunde, who is still recovering from an injury he picked up against Derby County in September.

For hosts Swansea, striker Tammy Abraham is likely to lead the line because Ivory Coast international Wilfried Bony remains sidelined with a hamstring injury.

The match at Liberty Stadium in South Wales will kick-off at 20h45 CAT.



Source link

post

Marc Wilmots – I won’t use injuries as an excuse – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa


by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Oct 04, 2017. 19:30


The Ivory Coast’s spate of injuries will not be used as an excuse, according to coach Marc Wilmots.

Ahead of their penultimate 2018 World Cup qualifier away to Mali on Friday evening, the Elephants have been stripped of several key players.

Gervinho, Seydou Doumbia, Jean-Michael Seri, Adama Traore, Max Gradel and Wilfried Zaha are all out due to injury, while even the recalled Wilfried Bony is a doubt.

“I prefer to have the whole of my [selection] because there are players who have tremendous quality,” Wilmots told RFI.

“It is not necessary to say if you have Seydou Doumbia, Bony, Gervinho, Jean-Michael Seri, it is still players of quality.

“We do not replace quality players like that. We can not say that Ivory Coast has a nucleus with 250 players.”

The Belgian tactician added, “Obviously, it’s annoying. But I’m not a coach who complains. I make the observation and I go forward. I just made a statement.

“Since we started, there have been a lot of injuries. We put a medical service to help all the players, to work with the clubs, the little knocks that are there.

“How to care for them, how to be professional to try not to have them. That is what we are putting in place. But it’s a long-term job with the clubs.”



Source link

post

Club Africain weak and won’t go further – MCA’s Hachoud


Abderrahmane Hachoud of MC Alger during the 2017 CAF Confederation Cup match between Mbabane Swallows and MC Alger at the Somhlolo Stadium, Lombamba Swaziland on 02 June 2017 ©Muzi Ntombela/BackpagePix

by
Graeme Jackson

Tuesday Sep 26, 2017. 13:00


Club Africain are “one of the weakest teams” in the CAF Confederation Cup, according to MC Alger defender Abderahmane Hachoud.

CA won 2-0 in Rades on Sunday night to clinch a 2-1 aggregate victory in the tie against MCA and progress into the semifinals of the continental competition.

However, Hachoud believes CA were the beneficiaries of poor officiating, especially in regards to Moatza Zemizemi’s early penalty which leveled the tie at 1-1.

“I cannot even find the words to express my disappointment and that of my teammates, because we were simply robbed,” Hachoud is quoted by Le Buteur.

“Since the start of the competition, Club Africain has been one of the weakest teams we have ever met,” the MCA defender added.

“To answer your question, it is not only the imaginary penalty that the referee offered the Tunisians to relaunch them in the match.

“This referee has deprived us of a flagrant penalty that he did not whistle after a handball in the penalty area, without talking about the aggressiveness of the Tunisians that he did not sanction.”

Hacoud continued, “It was a war, not a football game. We are very disappointed because we had the means to win this African Cup, but the referee wanted it differently.

“What happened, I have never seen it in my career. Club Africain will not go far in this African Cup, I say it again, it is one of the weakest teams that we met during this test.”

Club African will face SuperSport United in the semifinals, with the first leg in Pretoria set to be played this coming weekend.



Source link

post

Duarte: Burkina Faso’s Malo won’t face South Africa – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers


Patrick Malo of Burkina Faso

by
Austin Ditlhobolo

Monday Sep 25, 2017. 14:00


Burkina Faso head coach Paulo Duarte has explained why Patrick Malo won’t face South Africa on 7 October 2017.

The two nations will clash in the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification Group D match at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Duarte reportedly stated that Malo forgot his playing jersey in the locker room when he was told to replace Issouf Paro during the clash with Senegal in Dakar earlier this month.

An injured Paro had to stay five more minutes on the pitch, before he was replaced by Egypt-based central defender Malo at the Stade Léopold Sédar Senghor.

“Everybody makes mistakes,” Duarte was quoted on Star Africa.

“But Malo does too much. But there is one thing I do not tolerate. Not taking the country’s dream seriously. Laughing at the investment of the country. Make fun of my work.

“Malo is the player with whom I do most individual meetings. I communicate with him. One hour, two hours before the game, I insist, no risk, no tackle, no dangerous pass in defense,” Duarte continued.

“I will tell you one thing, it will be difficult for Malo to come back with me. I never say that. It will be difficult.”

Burkina Faso are sitting at the top Group D with two games left. Only the Group winners will qualify for the finals.



Source link

post

We won’t underestimate Cape Verde – SA coach Baxter – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa


by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Aug 30, 2017. 09:00


South Africa will not make the mistake of underestimating Cape Verde Islands, according to coach Stuart Baxter.

The teams will meet in back-to-back 2018 World Cup qualifiers on September 1 in Praia and September 5 in Durban.

Bafana are currently joint top of Group D alongside Burkina Faso, while the Blue Sharks are bottom of the log after suffering two defeats.

“My father said to me ‘Always beware the man that has nothing to lose’. So they have got nothing to lose‚” Baxter said in regards to Cape Verde’s team.

“I think we have got to go there with the same attitude. They can play the way they want.

“If we play well then I think we have got a chance of getting a good result. So we’ve got to make sure that our mentality is tight.

“We want to be a team‚ we want to make sure that everybody puts in 100 percent.

“We want to be able to express ourselves in the right way‚ have that feeling of no regrets and no anxiety.

“We are just looking forward to the game and quieten down all the other chit-chat that may have made us complacent‚ that may have made us nervous. Quieten that down and just get to the place.”



Source link

post

Leicester players won’t get involved in Mahrez transfer – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa


Leicester City‘s Riyad Mahrez

by
Graeme Jackson

Sunday Aug 27, 2017. 11:30


Danny Simpson has explained that Leicester City’s players will not get involved in any potential transfers for Algerian Riyad Mahrez and striker Jamie Vardy.

The duo have been strongly linked with transfers away from the King Power Stadium, with Mahrez drawing particular interest from Serie A giants Roma.

Simpson says the other players don’t get involved in transfer business, leaving it up to the individuals and clubs in question to work out the issues themselves.

“When you’ve got good players in your team they’re going to get linked to teams in every window,” Simpson told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast Show.

“It’s probably more frustrating for the fans and the manager. For the lads it is what it is and we want people to stay at Leicester.

“But at the same time you can’t really get involved if a so called big team wants to take them [Mahrez and Vardy].

“I want them to stay because they’re great players. But at the same time you don’t really get involved because it’s their decision and the club’s decision.”



Source link

post

Why SuperSport won’t be signing Swazi star Ndzinisa – ABSA Premiership 2017/18


by
Austin Ditlhobolo

Tuesday Aug 08, 2017. 14:00


South African outfit SuperSport United have disclosed why they won’t be signing Swazi international Sabelo Ndzinisa.

The Mbabane Swallows striker has been on trial at the Absa Premiership side, but the club’s technical team has decided against signing him.

Eric Tinkler, the SuperSport head coach, explained that they would be signing the player because they already have enough quality in their striking department.

“He’s been training with us for the last couple of days because a request came in to find out if he could, so I said, ‘no problem, let’s have a look at him’,” Tinkler was quoted on Kick Off website.

“But I don’t think we will be signing him, no. Right now that [strikers] is one thing I don’t have any issues with – [Jeremy] Brockie has been extremely good, we still have [Kingston] Nkhatha, Bradley Grobler and we’ve just signed Prince Dube.

“I allowed him to train just to have a look at him – today he played a little bit of a friendly, but from today he’ll move on.”

The prolific forward, who is one of Swallows’ star players, has also been linked with South African clubs Mamelodi Sundowns and AmaZulu FC.

Ndzinisa has netted six goals in this year’s CAF Confederation Cup for Swallows, who failed to reach the knockout stages of the competition.

The 26-year-old marksman also helped Swallows clinch the 2016/17 Swazi Premier League title.



Source link

post

Bosz: Aubameyang won’t be sold to Quanjia – 2019 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers


Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang celebrates

by
Austin Ditlhobolo

Monday Jul 24, 2017. 16:00


Gabon international Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is unlikely to join Chinese Super League side Tianjin Quanjia next season.

This is according to Borussia Dortmund head coach Peter Bosz, who dismissed the reports linking Aubameyang with the club.

Recent reports have indicated that Aubameyang is poised for a €70million switch to Quanjian in January, 2018.

However, Dortmund are keen to keep Aubameyang, who won last season’s German Bundesliga Golden Boot award, for another full season.

“The advantage is that I’m not reading all the newspapers,” Bosz said on Goal.com.

“I’ve talked to [sporting director] Michael Zorc and he said that nothing is true.

“That’s nonsense.”

The prolific striker will be one of Dortmund’s key players during the 2017/18 season as they look to clinch the Bundesliga title.



Source link