Raphael Guerreiro found the net twice as Borussia Dortmund clinched top spot in UEFA Champions League Group A with a 2- win at AS Monaco on Tuesday.
Monaco 0 -2 Dortmund
Plans: -1 Guerreiro (15′), -two Guerreiro (88′)
With Monaco previously out, Dortmund’s aim was to rest a number of initial-selection stars — Marco Reus, Jadon Sancho and Axel Witsel were among individuals who did not even journey to the principality — and attempt to claim the win that would preserve their momentum and probably give them major spot in the area. Mario Götze signalled the visitors’ intentions with an early shot that flashed just wide in advance of Christian Pulisic and Maximilian Philipp mixed to tee up Guerreiro, who instantly broke the deadlock. Guerreiro and Marcel Schmelzer may possibly have extra far more goals in advance of the crack, but options for Radamel Falcao and Benoit Badiashile in the closing levels suggested the hosts — having difficulties domestically, unlike Dortmund — may possibly have some struggle in them nonetheless.
The save Ömer Toprak forced from former Wolfsburg goalie Diego Benaglio reasserted the visitors’ grip on the game immediately after the half-time interval although Philipp would have doubled their lead but for a devious bobble off the turf when he seemed destined to score but as a substitute sent his shot into the sky. Guerreiro came close to adding a 2nd six minutes from time in advance of he before long did thanks to good work from substitute Paco Alcacer to protected 3 points which — together with Atletico Madrid‘s goalless draw in Bruges — see Lucien Favre’s men end on top of what experienced appeared a screening team.
- Alcacer is Dortmund’s major scorer this season with eleven goals in twelve appearances (six starts off) in all competitions.
- Marco Reus has registered twelve goals and eights assists in 21 appearances in all competitions in 2018/19.
- Sixteen unique players have scored for Dortmund in the initial fourteen league games, a new Bundesliga record.
- Dortmund have scored fifty four goals in 22 competitive matches so far this time period. Monaco have netted eighteen.
- Favre was in cost of French club Good between 2016 and departing for Dortmund this summertime, overseeing third- and eighth-placed finishes. He also experienced a spell in France as a player, with Toulouse.
- Monaco goalie Diego Benaglio won the 2008/09 Bundesliga title with Wolfsburg.
Monaco: Benaglio – Biancone (Serrano 78′), Glik, B. Badiashile, Raggi – Henrichs, Tielemans, Bennasser, Massengo (Thuram-Ulien 69′) – Diop – Falcao (c) (Sylla 64′)
Unused subs: L. Badiashile, Barreca, Jemerson, Gouano
Coach: Thierry Henry
Dortmund: Hitz – Hakimi, Toprak, Diallo, Schmelzer – Weigl, Dahoud (Wolf 76′) – Pulisic, Götze (c), Guerreiro (Gomez ninety+2′) – Philipp (Alcacer 79′)
Unused subs: Bürki, Akanji, Toljan, Burnic
Coach: Lucien Favre