post

TP Mazembe coach Mihayo unsure of future with DR Congo giants – 2017 CAF Confederation Cup

[ad_1]

by
Austin Ditlhobolo

Monday Nov 27, 2017. 12:00


TP Mazembe head coach Pamphile Mihayo has revealed that he wants to stay at the club even if he is replaced as coach.

The tactician was in charge of the DR Congo giants as they retained the CAF Confederation Cup by beating South Africa’s SuperSport United 2-1 on aggregate following a goalless draw in Pretoria on Saturday.

Mihayo has been coach April but there is a uncertainty surrounding the club at present, particularly since the exiling of the team’s president Moise Katumbi to Belgium two years.

“Maybe if they bring in another coach, I’ll still be there to serve. I want to help this team because it is my team,” Mihayo said on BBC.

“Now it is up to the club’s directors to decide if they are going to give me another six months, or a year. I’m ready to continue.

“I’m a son of the club. This team – TP Mazembe – is my team. I’ve been here for a very long time. I have given them two cups now in one season,” he said.

The former Mazembe captain was in charge when Mazembe won the league title earlier in the year just after he took over from Frenchman Thierry Froger.

Mihayo is now in charge of several of his ex-teammates were in the line-up with him when he captained the Mazembe side that reached the 2010 Club World Cup final.

“The players accepted to work under me, to listen to my instructions and I must thank them for that,” the 41-year-ole continued.

“Congratulations to my players, they did not give any opportunity to SuperSport in the game, they did not make any fouls nor did they concede any penalties.

“They were ready, they defended well because they are experienced players.”

Mazembe will take on 2017 CAF Champions League winners Wydad Casablanca of Morocco in the 2018 CAF Super Cup.

[ad_2]

Source link

post

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Faouzi Ghoulam – Algerian set to secure future with Napoli – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa

[ad_1]

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Faouzi Ghoulam - Algerian set to secure future with Napoli

Napoli left-back Faouzi Ghoulam

by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Nov 22, 2017. 19:00


Algerian left-back Faouzi Ghoulam may be sidelined for the long term with a knee injury, but his future with Italian club Napoli remains headline news.

The Fennec Foxes star has been one of the most talked-about Africans stars in the transfer market, with his current contract set to expire at the end of the 2017/18 season.

Ghoulam was linked with the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and even Barcelona, with a move in the January transfer window looking very likely – until he suffered a season-ending knee injury earlier this month.

In the wake of these events, it has emerged that Napoli are very close to agreeing a new contract with the Algerian.

Tuttomercatoweb has reported that a new deal for Ghoulam to remain at the Stadio San Paolo until June 2022 will soon be inked, with confirmation of the agreement set to arrive before the end of next week.

Meanwhile, Napoli coach Maurizio Sarri has described the Algerian as one of the best left-backs in European football and has admitted that his absence has been a major blow to the team.

“The absence of Ghoulam? I think it is difficult at the moment to replace it. I would say that there are currently only one or two players in Europe capable of replacing him,” said Sarri this past weekend.

“Before he got hurt, Ghoulam was one of the top three left-backs in Europe.”

[ad_2]

Source link

post

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Faouzi Ghoulam – No confirmation of Algerian star’s future – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers

[ad_1]

by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Nov 15, 2017. 19:00


Faouzi Ghoulam continues his recovery from a major knee injury and there remains no confirmation of whether he will sign a new contract with Napoli.

The Algerian is set to be out of contract at Stadio San Paolo at the end of the current season.

Some reports in Italian media claim the 26-year-old will pen a new deal with the Naples club, while others claim he will see out his contract and choose from one of several suitors in the European summer.

Juventus, Chelsea and Liverpool were also strongly linked with a move for the left-back, but it remains to be seen whether their interest is quite as strong considering his current injured status.

Regardless, Ghoulam will have been disappointed at having missed out on Algeria’s matches against Nigeria and Central African Republic during the international break this month.

He was named in the initial squad by new coach Rabah Madjer, but obviously had to pull out following the cruciate knee injusy he sustained while playing for Napoli in the UEFA Champions League.

[ad_2]

Source link

post

Ghana has great future despite 2018 failure – Raphael Dwamena – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa

[ad_1]

by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Nov 15, 2017. 17:00


Ghana striker Raphael Dwamena insists that the national team has a great future despite the failure to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

The Black Stars finished third in Group E behind Egypt and Uganda, but Dwamena, who is still a relative newcomer to the team, believes the World Cup failure could be a blessing in disguise.

“We got a great future with the new players in the team. We are there for each other as teammates and we have to stick together as a team to achieve our aim. We can do everything if we stick together as a team,” the 24-year-old is quoted by Finder Sports.

“The future is bright for the Black Stars because we have a lot of young players. We have to work hard and we have a long way to go.

“There are a lot of things ahead of us being the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, World Cup qualifiers and many more.

“I want to do my best when I represent my nation. I am not only looking forward to scoring goals for the Black Stars but I am looking to win trophies with the national team.”

Ghana will now turn their attention to the qualifiers for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, with their next match away to Kenya in March 2018.

[ad_2]

Source link

post

Eyes on the future as Congo, Uganda clash in Brazzaville dead-rubber – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers

[ad_1]

Eyes on the future as Congo, Uganda clash in Brazzaville dead-rubber

Frank Acheampong of Ghana challenges Nicholas Wadada of Uganda during the 2018 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers Russia on 07 October 2017 at Mandela Stadium, Namboole, Kampala. ©Ismail Kezaala/BackpagePix

by
Phumzile Ngcatshe

Saturday Nov 11, 2017. 09:00


Congo and Uganda will have one eye on the future when they go head-to-head in a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier at the Stade Municipal de Kintélé in Brazzaville on Sunday afternoon.

Kick-off is at 15h30 local time (16h30 CAT).

The match is a mere formality with Egypt having emerged victorious in Group E – subsequently booking their place at a first World Cup since 1990.

Both Congo and Uganda were hopeful of shining on the world’s stage for the very first time, but it was not to be for either nation.

The Cranes, though, can especially hold their heads high having held Ghana to successive goalless draws, while also registering a notable 1-0 win over the Pharaohs in Kampala.

Diables Rouges have endured a tougher time, and suffered defeat in both of their previous two home matches [1-2 to Egypt] and [1-5 to Ghana], but did show great resilience in both Alexandria and Kumasi.

Despite the match being classified as a so called ‘dead-rubber’ – Mamelodi Sundowns goalkeeper Denis Onyango has highlighted the importance of the clash for the Cranes.

“We need to get into the habit of winning away from home so that it helps us build a winning mentality,” Onyango added.

“It may be a so-called dead rubber, but for us it means everything,”

“We are using it to prepare for other upcoming engagements and we want to finish strong and get a better seeding and draws,” he concluded.

The reverse fixture in Kampala last year ended in a 1-0 win for the then hosts. Farouk Miya with the only goal of the game.

[ad_2]

Source link

post

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Riyad Mahrez – How will Claude Poel’s arrival impact on his future? – 2019 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers

[ad_1]

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Riyad Mahrez – How will Claude Poel's arrival impact on his future?

Leicester City star Riyad Mahrez

by
Phumzile Ngcatshe

Thursday Oct 26, 2017. 19:00


With Leicester City having registered two straight wins in all competitions, Algerian star Riyad Mahrez has played a crucial role.

He scored as they beat Leeds United 3-1 in the League Cup and also provided an assist as they downed Swansea City 2-1 in the English premier League last weekend.

The left-footed winger is continuing to raise his hand and help the Foxes when the chips are down at King Power Stadium.

However, a big question creeps in just after the club announced changes in the technical team where a new coach has come in.

Frenchman, Claude Puel has been confirmed as Craig Shakespeare’s successor after penning a deal at the King Power stadium until June 2020.

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: VINCENT ABOUBAKAR- CAMEROON STRIKER OUT TO KEEP UP SCORING FORM

Is this good news for Mahrez? The Desert Foxes international has established himself under managers Claudio Ranieri and Shakespeare.

Despite reports that he wants to move away from the 2015/16 EPL champions, the 26-year-old has always given 100% whenever he donned the Blue shirt.

Puel is a man who will definitely come with new strategies and will have his favourite players, but will that put Mahrez into an awkward spot?

Some managers could be tempted to do away with a player who has his sights set somewhere else as that could jeopardise the club and the manager’s job.

Mahrez is undoubtedly one of the best foreign players in the EPL and his stance on making a move to greener pastures could hurt him.

However, it all depends on how Puel will deal with the player and matters in the dressing room as he may follow the notion that a new broom sweeps clean.

[ad_2]

Source link

post

Liverpool striker Bobby Adekanye unsure over Nigeria future

[ad_1]

Liverpool striker Bobby Adekanye unsure over Nigeria future

Liverpool‘s Bobby Adekanye

by
Graeme Jackson

Tuesday Oct 17, 2017. 18:00


Liverpool striker Bobby Adekanye has admitted that he is unsure yet whether he will choose to represent Nigeria at the international level.

The 18-year-old was born in Nigeria but has represented the Netherlands at junior level, making him eligible for both countries.

He told Voetbal Zone: “No, I have not made a choice yet. I’m not busy with that either. That will happen in the future.”

Adekanye signed for Liverpool in 2015 after Barcelona had to release him due to their transfer ban.

He added: “Hopefully, my dream comes true and that’s playing in Liverpool’s first [team].

“Yes, Barcelona is my ultimate dream, that’s right, and hopefully I will play again in the future. But my dream for now is to get to Liverpool firsts.”

Adekanye has also been on the books of Ajax Amsterdam and PSV Eindhoven in his youth career.

[ad_2]

Source link

post

Platinum Stars non-committal about Butler’s future – ABSA Premiership 2017/18

[ad_1]

Platinum Stars non-committal about Butler's future

Peter Butler, talking to journalists ©Ismail Kezaala/BackpagePix

by
Phumzile Ngcatshe

Thursday Sep 07, 2017. 15:30


With reports mounting that Platinum Stars are set to part ways with coach Peter Butler, the club’s general manager Senzo Mazingiza says they will issue a media statement.

Mazingiza spoke to AfricanFootball.com on Thursday about the coach’s future as head of Dikwena’s technical team.

Although Butler replaced Cavin Johnson before the start of the 2017/18 Premier Soccer League season, the former Botswana national team coach started the current Absa Premiership campaign with two losses against Maritzburg United and Cape Town City.

The results have reportedly prompted the Phokeng-based club to press panic buttons as it was reported that the English manager could be axed and assistant coach, Milton Dlamini to take over the reins.

Although Mazingiza refused to commit regarding the news about Butler’s situation at the club, he denied that they have released the coach.

‘PSG DIDN’T RESPECT MY TRUE WORTH’ – SERGE AURIER

“We have noted the reports about the club and the coach, to be honest we are concerned about the reports and we will issue a statement very soon,” Mazingiza told AfricanFootball.com.

“Look, the club has not started well and we are concerned about the results, but I cannot comment on the coach being sacked and all of that.

“We will use the correct channels to respond to the media via a statement. Our preparations are going well for our next league match [against SuperSport United].

“I cannot say the mood is high in the camp for now because I have been in meetings, but I will see the team today or tomorrow.”

Stars will visit United in their next league clash at Lucas Moripe Stadium on Tuesday, 12 September at 19:30 (CAT).

[ad_2]

Source link

post

Ugandan Football Association unsure of Basena’s future as Cranes coach – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa

[ad_1]

by
Phumzile Ngcatshe

Wednesday Sep 06, 2017. 15:00


The future of the Ugandan interim coach Moses Basena is yet to be decided by the Federation of the Ugandan Football Association (FUFA(.

The 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers clash against Egypt in Alexandria was supposed to be the ‘final’ game in Basena’s tenure, but FUFA have admitted they are yet to decide his fate.

The association appointed Basena and Fred Kajoba as the interim coaches of the national team following the departure of Serbian Micho Sredojevic, who terminated his contract over unpaid wages.

“As FUFA, we sat as a family (officials and immediate former players) and decided that they carry on an interim basis until after the Egypt matches home and away,” FUFA president Moses Magogo said last month.

Under the two coaches, the Cranes beat the Pharaohs 1-0 in Kampala last week, but succumbed to the same margin away in Alexandria.

“We have not sat to decide on anything,” Magogo told Daily Monitor in Alexandria, Egypt.

“It has not even been discussed at any level within FUFA. (After Micho) I actually decided not to think about the coaching bit and prepare for Rwanda and

[ad_2]

Source link

post

Rivaldo Coetzee’s future remains uncertain following Ikamva return – ABSA Premiership 2016/17 – Ajax Cape Town

[ad_1]

by
Bertin Basson

Wednesday Jul 26, 2017. 17:00


Ajax Cape Town defender Rivaldo Coetzee’s future remains up in the air, despite his return to Ikamva on Tuesday.

The Bafana Bafana international trained with the Urban Warriors MultiChoice Diski Challenge (MDC) team yesterday, following positive talks with club CEO Ari Efstathiou.

Coetzee’s actions have sparked a massive debate on social media, with the 20-year-old having gone AWOL since the first day of pre-season in a bid to force a big money move away from the club.

Mamelodi Sundowns are believed to be huge admirers of Coetzee, with the Brazilians still front-runners to sign him.

In a video posted on Ajax Cape Town’s twitter page, Coetzee apologised to the club and head coach Stanley Menzo for his actions. He will meet with the former Dutch international on the club’s return from Gauteng where they are currently on pre-season camp.

“Rivaldo offered a heartfelt apology to the club, staff, coaches, his teammates and to our fans, one which we have accepted,” said Efstathiou.

“We are happy that he has taken responsibility for his actions in a mature manner and accepted any decision made by the DC regarding his absence from training since the start of pre-season.”

[ad_2]

Source link

post

Zamalek president Mortada to decide Inacio’s future

[ad_1]

Zamalek president Mortada to decide Inacio's future

USM Alger player (L) fights for the ball with Zamalek Aly Hefny Abdalla Hasanin Salama (R) during the 2017 CAF Champions League game between USM Alger and Zamalek at Stade 5 Juillet 1962 in Algiers, Algeria on 21 June 2017 © BackpagePix

by
Phumzile Ngcatshe

Tuesday Jul 11, 2017. 13:30


Speaking to the Egyptian media, Zamalek president Mortada Mansour says coach Augusto Ignacio wanted to leave the club before their final CAF Champions League, Group B game.

The Egyptian giants drew their final encounter 2-2 against Al Ahli Tripoli and the club’s boss says Inacio wants to leave.

In the wake of the stalemate, Inacio’s side occupied the third spot with six points, while Ahli Tripoli and USM Alger both qualified to the quarter-finals.

The chairman reinforced the fact that the Portuguese coach is not the only one responsible for Zamalek’s elimination, he said the players should be held responsible too.

AL AHLI TRIPOLI KNOCK ZAMALEK OUT OF THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

“In a meeting between me and Inacio before the game, the coach was determined to leave,” said Mansour.

“We’ll be meeting on Monday with Inacio to discuss his future with the club.

“He has to hire a general manager. Sami El-Sheshini, Mohamed Salah and Ashraf Kassem are good candidates.”

Mortada, however, pointed out to ON Sport TV channel that Inacio can only stay with the club if he obliged to the president’s conditions.

The controversial boss also added that 10 players will be released as they do not deserve to wear the White shirt.

“A lot of players don’t deserve to wear Zamalek’s t-shirt. I think 10 players will leave the team this summer,” Mansour told ON Sport TV channel.

[ad_2]

Source link