Bayern Munich fell 9 points behind Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund right after Dodi Lukebakio’s hat-trick gave lowly Fortuna Düsseldorf a deserved share of the spoils at the Allianz Arena.
Goals: 1- Süle (17’), two- Müller (20’), two-one Lukebakio (44’), three-one Müller (58’), three-two Lukebakio (77’), three-three Lukebakio (90+3’)
Hoping for some kind of Klassiker hangover from Bayern, Fortuna attacked hard and quick in the opening minutes as Lukebakio and Takashi Usami analyzed Manuel Neuer from range. Bayern rode the storm, nevertheless, and bought their noses in front when Niklas Süle slammed into the base corner right after Fortuna unsuccessful to obvious a Renato Sanches corner. Thomas Müller expertly dispatched Jerome Boateng’s trademark extensive ball to give Bayern respiration room, but a defensive blend-up gifted Fortuna a route again in the game, with Lukebakio sweeping in unmarked on the stroke of half-time.
Bayern ought to have believed they had been home and hosed when Müller curled in his second of the afternoon pursuing a sensational piece of maintain-up play from Robert Lewandowski – but Fortuna refused to lie down. Three quite presentable adjustments arrived and went, ahead of Lukebakio coolly dodged the offside trap and beat Neuer one-on-one to set up a grandstand complete the goal allowed to stand pursuing session with the VAR. Uncharacteristic misses from Lewandowski proved pricey as Lukebakio done his hat-trick in extra time with a digital carbon duplicate of his second.
- Lukebakio is Fortuna’s best scorer this season, with 9 goals in all competitions (5 in the Bundesliga, four in the DFB Cup). He is the initially Bundesliga player given that Ebbe Sand (Schalke) in 2001 to score a hat-trick against Bayern.
- All a few of Süle’s Bundesliga goals for Bayern have occur at home.
- Müller finished a operate of 561 Bundesliga minutes devoid of a goal.
- Süle has done 94 per cent of his attempted passes across the season.
- Lewandowski has scored against seventeen of the Bundesliga’s 18 existing clubs. Only Fortuna are lacking from the listing.
- Wooyeong Jeong and Jonathan Meier, both 19, made the Bayern bench. Neither has played competitive initially-team football ahead of.
Bayern: Neuer (c) – Kimmich, Süle, Boateng, Alaba – Martinez – Goretzka, Müller (Hummels 90+1′), Renato Sanches (Rafinha 80′), Ribery (Robben 70′) – Lewandowski
Unused subs: Ulreich, Wagner, Jeong, Meier
Absentees: Gnabry (adductor), Thiago, Coman (health and fitness), Tolisso (knee), James (knee)
Coach: Niko Kovac
Düsseldorf: Rensing – Zimmermann, Bormuth, Kaminski, Gießelmann – Zimmer, Bodzek (Hennings 85′), Fink (c), Stöger, Usami (Raman 70′) – Lukebakio
Unused subs: Theißen, Morales, Ducksch, Karaman, Nielsen
Absentees: Contento (knee), Hoffmann (concussion), Wiesner (pelvis)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel