post

Nigeria Federation: Gernot Rohr will decide on Vincent Enyeama – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa

[ad_1]

Nigeria Federation: Gernot Rohr will decide on Vincent Enyeama

Vincent Enyeama of Nigeria dejected during the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations match between Zambia and Nigeria on the 25 January 2013 at Mbombela Stadium©Pic Sydney Mahlangu/BackpagePix

by
Graeme Jackson

Thursday Oct 26, 2017. 12:30


The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has insisted that national team coach Gernot Rohr will have the final say over whether goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama returns to the Super Eagles.

The veteran goalkeeper has been frozen out of the national team since having a row with former coach Sunday Oliseh, but he is reportedly close to a return after positive talks with Rohr.

Many pundits have argued that the return of Enyeama could unsettle the Super Eagles, with a possible captaincy power struggle between the ‘keeper and current incumbent John Obi Mikel.

The competing point of view is that Enyeama’s experience will be invaluable as Nigeria head into a World Cup year, in which they must also recover from an opening game defeat in their 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying group.

NFF secretary general Mohammed Sanusi insists that the organisation will not try to influence whether Enyeama is recalled or not, explaining that the decision will be entirely in Rohr’s hands.

“The NFF does not interfere in the choice of players or goalkeepers for the national teams,” Sanusi told the Guardian.

“We had given Rohr the free hand to pick whoever he feels capable of playing in the Super Eagles.

“I won’t say we are in support of his decision to bring back Enyeama, neither will I say we are against it. Rohr’s decision is final as far as such issue is concerned.”

Enyeama could be back in the Nigeria set up as early as next month, with the Super Eagles set to face Algeria away in their final World Cup qualifier.

[ad_2]

Source link

post

Kashimawo Laloko lambastes Nigerian Football Federation – Nigeria

[ad_1]

Kashimawo Laloko lambastes Nigerian Football Federation

Super Falcons coach Florence Omagbemi

by
Phumzile Ngcatshe

Saturday Oct 21, 2017. 13:00

Following the Nigerian Football Federation’s announcement of Randy Waldrum as the new Women’s Technical Adviser, the ex-technical Director of the NFF, Kashimawo Laloko, has lamented the decision.

Laloko said the appointment of a foreign adviser for the Super Falcons is a disservice to coach Florence Omagbemi.

The NFF announced the selection of American Waldrum on Thursday as the new technical adviser of the Super Falcons.

Before then, the football house had told the former coaches of the team, led by Omagbemi, to re-apply if they were still interested in their positions.

LAMPARD: I THOUGHT I WAS GOOD – BUT PLAYING AGAINST ETO’O WAS AN “EYE-OPENER” 

According to the Guardian website in Nigeria, Laloko said what the NFF did to Omagbemi was unjust and added that it was punishment for her perceived role in the protest over bonuses and match allowances by the Falcons.

They protested for monies following their victory at the 10th African Women Nations Cup in Cameroon last year.

“Our people have suspicious ways of doing things. Omagbami was in the Super Falcons as a player for a very long time,” laments Laloko.

“I knew her back then with Jegede Babes.

“If you were asking people to reapply, it is the politics of the show that they want to play.

“This lady did a lot for this nation both as a player and a coach. Even after winning the trophy in Cameroun they still asked her to go.

“I think they simply wanted to find a way to eliminate her after the players’ demands.”

[ad_2]

Source link

post

Nigerian Football Federation fined US$30,000 for pitch invasion – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers

[ad_1]

by
Phumzile Ngcatshe

Thursday Oct 05, 2017. 12:30


The Nigerian Football Federation has been fined over US$30,000 by FIFA and were issued with a warning after their fans invaded the pitch when they beat Cameroon 4-0 on September 1.

FIFA released a number of fines and disciplinary measures taken against national teams around the world for offences committed last month.

The offences were committed during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.

Eight African nations have been found guilty for various offences.

Gabon fielded an ineligible player, Merlin Tandjigora, who should have been suspended in their 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Cote d’Ivoire on September 2.

SAFA DELEGATION VISIT LA LIGA BOSS

FIFA released a statement that Egypt effectively escape with a fine as the main sanction for the offence is to forfeit the match 3-0.

The Democratic Republic of Congo were also given a warning, but forced to pay FIFA a fine of around US$20,000, for incidents during their match against Tunisia on September 5.

Looking at the Southern part of the continent, Zambia were ordered to pay US$7,000 after their fans threw objects when they played Algeria in Lusaka.

On the other hand, South Africa’s Erick Mulomowandau Mathoho had his suspension for a straight red card against Cape Verde increased from one match to two and also fined US$5,000.

Morocco was handed a punishment of US$3,000 and a warning after spectators whistled during the national anthem ahead of their match against Mali in Rabat.

Furthermore, Burkina Faso and Senegal received issued warnings for delayed kick-offs in their two matches against each other in September 2 and 5.

[ad_2]

Source link

post

Algeria’s Lucas Alcaraz backed by football federation boss – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa

[ad_1]

by
Graeme Jackson

Tuesday Sep 05, 2017. 14:00


Algeria coach Lucas Alcaraz has been given the dreaded vote of confidence by the country’s Football Federation boss Kheireddine Zetchi.

The Spanish tactician came under fire from Fennec Foxes supporters after his side were beaten 3-1 by Zambia in a Group B World Cup qualifier in Lusaka on Saturday afternoon.

The result left Algeria on the verge of elimination in the race for Russia 2018, with leaders Nigeria looking likely to secure the one qualification berth assigned to the group.

Yet Alcaraz has been shielded from criticism by Zetchi, who says all focus must be placed on tonight’s return match against Chipolopolo in Constantine.

“We are not here to discuss the future of the coach,” the Algerian football boss is quoted by Star Africa.

“Responsibilities are shared. First of all, we’ll have to play Tuesday. Then we’ll do an analysis.

“But, in any case, there was never any question of getting a coach out after a defeat.

“It will be necessary to think of finding a selection capable of facing the challenges and especially on the African continent.”

Zetchi added, “It’s important to win at Constantine.

“The players are pros. We will finish the work by playing as seriously as possible.

“It is true that we will have to look for mental strength, which is not easy after such a defeat.”

The Algeria v Zambia match at Stade Mohamed Hamlaoui will kick-off at 21h30 CAT.

[ad_2]

Source link

post

FIFA to run crisis-hit Cameroon football federation

[ad_1]

by
Austin Ditlhobolo

Friday Aug 25, 2017. 14:00


The Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) has disclosed that it has appointed a Normalisation Committee to run the Cameroonian Football Association (FECAFOOT).

The decision was taken by FIFA in connection with the confirmation by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) of the decision of the “Chambre de Conciliation et d’Arbitrage du Comité Olympique et Sportif du Cameroun” (CCA/CNOSC) to annul the electoral process leading to the election of the current FECAFOOT executive committee in 2015 and following recent failed attempts by FIFA to reconcile the football stakeholders in Cameroon and overcome the current impasse.

According to FIFA the committee’s mandate will include the following tasks:

– To run the daily affairs of FECAFOOT;

– To draft new statutes in consultation with all stakeholders and in compliance with FIFA’s Statutes and standards as well as mandatory national law;

– To review the statutes of the regional and departmental leagues and ensure their alignment with the FECAFOOT statutes;

– To identify the delegates of the FECAFOOT general assembly and of the regional and departmental leagues;

– To organise and conduct elections of a new FECAFOOT executive committee.

A another FIFA statement read: “The normalisation committee will be composed of an adequate number of members to be identified by a joint FIFA and CAF mission scheduled to take place very shortly.

“The committee will act as an electoral committee and none of its members will be eligible for any of the open positions in the elections.

“The specified period of time during which the normalisation committee shall perform its functions shall expire no later than 28 February 2018.”

[ad_2]

Source link

post

Nigerian Football federation president says African football will grow

[ad_1]

Nigerian Football federation president says African football will grow

Embattled NFF president Amaju Pinnick

by
Phumzile Ngcatshe

Friday Jul 28, 2017. 09:00


Nigerian Football federation’s president Amaju Pinnick says changes in the CAF African Cup of Nations will improve the game on the continent.

Speaking to the BBC website, the NFF boss reckons the game will not suffer because there are 24 teams set to participate at the tournament.

The changes in the continental showpiece were introduced by CAF last week during a football symposium held in Morocco.

Pinnick presides over CAF’s Nations Cup Organising Committee and believes African football will be ‘redefined’ as a result of the changes, citing benefits with regard to business, infrastructure and the sport itself.

Although he believes there will be setbacks, Pinnick believes the African game can only benefit even if the tournament may suffer early on.

“At the beginning, you will see some problems but later it will start building up to the quality people know it for,” the Nigerian told BBC Sport.

“Trust me – it is not going to reduce the quality. You will now starting seeing big money for African players – massive transfers because they are now in line with the footballer calendar.

“I don’t think there is any major concern. I called nine Nigeria internationals (to check) and they said it was not an issue.

“I also asked my marketing agent who called some big African names in the Premier League and they said the same thing.”

The tournament will now be staged between June and July instead of January-February as it was the norm in previous years.

[ad_2]

Source link