post

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Faouzi Ghoulam – Algerian to miss crunch match against Juventus


Napoli left-back Faouzi Ghoulam

by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Nov 29, 2017. 19:00


The knee injury suffered by Algerian star Faouzi Ghoulam means he will continue to miss Napoli’s big matches, including this weekend’s showdown with Juventus.

The match at Stadio San Paolo kicks off at 21h45 CAT and sees ‘Partenopei’ host the ‘Old Lady’ in one of Italian football’s classic rivalries.

The match also has significance in terms of the Serie A title race. Napoli currently top the log on 38 points, while defending champions Juve are four points behind in third place.

Ghoulam, sadly, will have to watch the game from the stands due to his long-term absence, but his future with the club remains headline news.

Though reports of a contract extension with Napoli have been prominent in the last couple of weeks, the Algerian remains a transfer target for the likes of Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea.



Source link

post

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Faouzi Ghoulam – Algerian set to secure future with Napoli – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa


Napoli left-back Faouzi Ghoulam

by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Nov 22, 2017. 19:00


Algerian left-back Faouzi Ghoulam may be sidelined for the long term with a knee injury, but his future with Italian club Napoli remains headline news.

The Fennec Foxes star has been one of the most talked-about Africans stars in the transfer market, with his current contract set to expire at the end of the 2017/18 season.

Ghoulam was linked with the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and even Barcelona, with a move in the January transfer window looking very likely – until he suffered a season-ending knee injury earlier this month.

In the wake of these events, it has emerged that Napoli are very close to agreeing a new contract with the Algerian.

Tuttomercatoweb has reported that a new deal for Ghoulam to remain at the Stadio San Paolo until June 2022 will soon be inked, with confirmation of the agreement set to arrive before the end of next week.

Meanwhile, Napoli coach Maurizio Sarri has described the Algerian as one of the best left-backs in European football and has admitted that his absence has been a major blow to the team.

“The absence of Ghoulam? I think it is difficult at the moment to replace it. I would say that there are currently only one or two players in Europe capable of replacing him,” said Sarri this past weekend.

“Before he got hurt, Ghoulam was one of the top three left-backs in Europe.”



Source link

post

Napoli to announce new Faouzi Ghoulam deal soon – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers


by
Graeme Jackson

Monday Nov 20, 2017. 18:30


Italian giants Napoli will soon announce an extension to the contract of Algerian left-back Faouzi Ghoulam, according to Tuttomercatoweb.

The Fennec Foxes defender is a long-term injury absentee after suffering a serious knee injury whilst playing for Napoli in the UEFA Champions League earlier this month.

His current contract with Napoli will lapse at the end of the current season – a fact which made him a prime target for the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool.

Yet the Italian media outlet reports that Napoli will sign the player up to new deal which runs to June 2022, and the contract will be announced before the end of next week.

Napoli manager Maurizio Sarri admitted that his team has missed Ghoulam since his injury, arguing that the Algerian was one of the best in his position in Europe.

“The absence of Ghoulam? I think it is difficult at the moment to replace it. I would say that there are currently only one or two players in Europe capable of replacing him,” said the Napoli boss.

” Before he got hurt, Ghoulam was one of the top three left-backs in Europe.”



Source link

post

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Faouzi Ghoulam – No confirmation of Algerian star’s future – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers


by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Nov 15, 2017. 19:00


Faouzi Ghoulam continues his recovery from a major knee injury and there remains no confirmation of whether he will sign a new contract with Napoli.

The Algerian is set to be out of contract at Stadio San Paolo at the end of the current season.

Some reports in Italian media claim the 26-year-old will pen a new deal with the Naples club, while others claim he will see out his contract and choose from one of several suitors in the European summer.

Juventus, Chelsea and Liverpool were also strongly linked with a move for the left-back, but it remains to be seen whether their interest is quite as strong considering his current injured status.

Regardless, Ghoulam will have been disappointed at having missed out on Algeria’s matches against Nigeria and Central African Republic during the international break this month.

He was named in the initial squad by new coach Rabah Madjer, but obviously had to pull out following the cruciate knee injusy he sustained while playing for Napoli in the UEFA Champions League.



Source link

post

Patrice Evra as possible Faouzi Ghoulam replacement? – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa


by
Graeme Jackson

Monday Nov 13, 2017. 15:00


French left-back Patrice Evra is being touted as a possible stand-in for Napoli’s injured Algerian star Faouzi Ghoulam.

The Fennec Foxes defender sustained a season-ending knee injury in Napoli’s last UEFA Champions League match.

This has put the Italian side on red alert for available left-backs and Evra could well fit the bill.

The veteran recently terminated his contract with Olympique Marseille to become a free agent.

However, a lengthy ban from UEFA club competition means he wouldn’t be available for Champions League matches.

Evra received the sanction in the wake of an incident in the warm-up for Marseille’s Europa League game with Vitoria Guimaraes, in which he kicked a fan during an altercation.

“He knows that he made a mistake, but his career doesn’t end here,” agent Federico Pastorello told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“He doesn’t want to hang up his boots in this way. Physically, he is stronger than five or six years ago and many clubs have already contacted us.”

Pastorello added, “Patrice doesn’t see himself in Serie A again after his years with Juventus. We won’t rule anything out, not even Napoli, but I think it would be complicated.”



Source link

post

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Faouzi Ghoulam – Crocked Algerian to receive contract extension? – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa


by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Nov 08, 2017. 19:00


Algerian defender Faouzi Ghoulam is reportedly close to receiving a contract extension with Napoli, having suffered a season-ending knee injury last week.

The 26-year-old picked up a serious ACL injury while playing for Napoli against Manchester City in the UEFA Champions League last Wednesday.

Prior to the injury, Ghoulam was very much a hot property in the transfer market, with the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Juventus said to be keen on signing the Algerian – either in the January transfer window, or at the end of the current season.

This is because Ghoulam is set to be a free agent in June 2018, when his contract at Stadio San Paolo expires.

However, Calciomercato reports that Napoli and Ghoulam are now close to agreeing a new deal for the Fennec Foxes player, which would secure his future at the club and end transfer speculation.

In the meantime, Ghoulam will be focused on recovery, having undergone surgery on his knee, and will be keeping an eye out for Algeria’s results in matches against Nigeria and the Central African Republic in the international break.



Source link

post

I want to come back stronger – Faouzi Ghoulam – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers


by
Graeme Jackson

Sunday Nov 05, 2017. 09:00


Following a major knee injury sustained in midweek, Algerian star Faouzi Ghoulam says he plans to come back even stronger.

The Fennec Foxes star ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament while playing for Napoli against Manchester City in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday night.

He underwent a successful surgery on the injury in Rome on Friday, but is set to miss the rest of the 2017/18 season while he recovers.

“Thank you all for your many messages of support, love and sympathy . I only want to come back even stronger,” Ghoulam is quoted by Le Buteur.

The 26-year-old will miss Algeria’s final 2018 World Cup qualifier against Nigeria next weekend, as well as their 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Gambia next March.

Algeria national team coach Rabah Madjer expressed his sympathies to the Napoli left-back: “I hope that you will recover quickly, the team needs you, courage and speedy recovery, Inshallah.”



Source link

post

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Faouzi Ghoulam – Algerian to renew with Napoli? – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers


by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Nov 01, 2017. 19:00


Faouzi Ghoulam will be in the Napoli shop window for perhaps the last time this evening when the Italian side hosts Manchester City in the UEFA Champions League.

Napoli and City will meet for their Matchday 4, Group F clash at Stadio San Paolo, kick-off at 21h45 CAT.

Ghoulam has been strongly linked with a move to the Premier League, with City, Liverpool and Chelsea all reported to be keen on signing the Algerian.

However, Sportmediaset claims that the left-back will sign a new contract with Napoli up to the end of the 2019/20 season, with a buy-out clause of €35-million.

Regardless, Ghoulam is set to be a key figure for Napoli tonight as they look to avenge a 2-1 loss at the Etihad two weeks ago.

The 26-year-old has also been named in Algeria’s 23-man squad named by new coach Rabah Madjer.

The Fennec Foxes are set to face Nigeria and Central African Republic in the upcoming international window.



Source link

post

Chelsea the new favourites to sign Faouzi Ghoulam – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa


Napoli left-back Faouzi Ghoulam

by
Graeme Jackson

Thursday Oct 26, 2017. 15:00


Chelsea have reportedly become the new favourites to sign Algerian left-back Faouzi Ghoulam from Napoli.

The Fennec Foxes player has been strongly linked with a move away from Stadio San Paolo in recent months, having thus far refused to sign an extension to his current contract with the Italian club.

Ghoulam will be out of contract at Napoli at the end of the current season, meaning he will either be free to leave in July 2018, or sold for a bargain price in the impending January window – assuming he doesn’t agree a new deal in Naples.

Manchester City appeared to be leading the race to sign the player, and saw him in action first-hand at the Etihad Stadium in their 2-1 win over Napoli in the UEFA Champions League last midweek.

However, Calciomercato reports that coach Pep Guardiola has now decided to give up the pursuit of the Algerian, allowing Chelsea to become the pack leaders.

Blues coach Antonio Conte is known to be searching for additional defensive cover (Ghoulam’s Napoli teammate Kalidou Koulibaly, for example, is a long-term target), and the Fennec Foxes player would provide great competition for Spaniard Marcos Alonso.



Source link

post

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Faouzi Ghoulam – Algerian star to feature against Genoa tonight – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa


by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Oct 25, 2017. 19:00


Algeria’s Faouzi Ghoulam continues to impress in the light blue of Napoli and is set to be in action later this evening in a Serie A match at Genoa.

Napoli will head to the Stadio Comunale Luigi Ferraris in Genova for their round 10 Serie A match.

Ghoulam has started all nine of their Serie A matches so far this season and has chipped in with two two goals.

The Naples club will be looking to return to the top of the standings, having been leapfrogged by Internazionale after they beat Sampdoria 3-2 in the only match on Tuesday.

With a record of eight wins and one draw from their opening nine matches, Napoli hasve established themselves as strong contenders for the Italian championship – a trophy they have not lifted since 1989/90 when they had Diego Maradona on their books.

Ghoulam, meanwhile, continues to be strongly linked with a move to the Premier League.

Manchester City appear to be the club in pole position to make a move for the Fennec Foxes star, having seen him in action first-hand at the Etihad Stadium last midweek when they claimed a 2-1 win over the Italian club in the UEFA Champions League.

Ghoulam has still not signed a new contract with Napoli, with his current deal set to expire at the end of the current season.



Source link

post

Faouzi Ghoulam to sign new contract despite Premier League interest? – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa


by
Graeme Jackson

Thursday Oct 12, 2017. 17:00


Faouzi Ghoulam could still sign a new contract with Italian side Napoli, despite reported interest from Premier League giants such as Manchester City and Liverpool.

The Algerian has thus far refused to sign new deal in Naples, with his current contract set to expire at the end of the 2017/18 season.

The 26-year-old is one of Europe’s most highly-regarded left-backs and has become a top performer since his move to Italy from Saint-Etienne in 2014.

Ghoulam’s status at Napoli has drawn interest from Manchester City and Liverpool, while the likes of Chelsea, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus have also been linked with the North African.

However, Goal reports that Napoli are “increasingly confident” that Ghoulam will sign a new five-year contract with the club.

The deal will include a €40m release clause, which can only be triggered by foreign clubs. This will dissuade Napoli’s Serie A rivals, such as Juventus and Roma, from signing the player.



Source link

post

Faouzi Ghoulam on Manchester City’s radar – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers


Napoli left-back Faouzi Ghoulam

by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Oct 04, 2017. 20:00


Napoli’s Algerian left-back Faouzi Ghoulam is reportedly on the transfer radar of Premier League giants Manchester City.

The Fennec Foxes defender will be out of contract at Napoli at the end of the current season and has thus far not agreed a new deal.

According to Le Buteur, City have been in contract with Ghoulam’s representatives in regards to a move to England.

Pep Guardiola’s side are in need of a left-back after new signing Benjamin Mendy suffered a season-ending knee injury.

With Ghoulam able to leave Napoli for free midway through next year, he may be available for a bargain price in the January window.

Yet City will face stiff competition for the player’s services, as the Algerian has also been linked with the likes of Liverpool, Barcelona and Real Madrid.



Source link

post

Faouzi Ghoulam’s contract stance encourages Liverpool – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa


by
Graeme Jackson

Thursday Sep 28, 2017. 13:00


Napoli’s Algerian left-back Faouzi Ghoulam looks more and more likely to leave the club, with Liverpool one of the teams hoping to secure his services.

The 26-year-old Fennec Foxes defender has thus far refused to sign a new contract with the Italian side, meaning he will become a free agent midway through 2018.

The Daily Mail reports that Ghoulam was one of the most monitored defenders in European football last season, with a host of elite clubs enquiring about his services.

Liverpool were one of the biggest names to express an interest in the Algerian, with the Reds and manager Jurgen Klopp having persistent problems establishing a first-choice left-back.

Mario Giuffredi, the agent of Napoli player Mario Rui, said: “I don’t think Ghoulam will renew with Napoli, and it’s enough to think that in four months he’ll be able to sign for whoever he wants for nothing.”

Despite his refusal to sign a new deal, Ghoulam remains a regular for the Naples club.



Source link

post

Faouzi Ghoulam set for January transfer? – 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – Africa


by
Graeme Jackson

Wednesday Sep 06, 2017. 12:00


Algerian left-back Faouzi Ghoulam is reportedly set to be sold by Italian giants Napoli in the January transfer window.

According to The Sun, Premier League sides Chelsea and Liverpool, as well as Italian champions Juventus, are set to battle over the defender’s signature.

Ghoulam’s contract at Stadio San Paulo runs out at the end of the current season and he has thus far refused to sign an extension.

Should the Algerian’s contract lapse, he will be able to leave Napoli as a free agent in mid-2018.

The Italian club is therefore likely to sell the player – albeit for a cut price – in January if they cannot convince him to pen a new deal.

Both Liverpool and Chelsea have been in the market for a left-back, and Ghoulam, 26, is a player in the prime years of his career.



Source link

post

Faouzi Ghoulam to be a Monaco transfer target? – 2019 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers


Algeria international left-back Faouzi Ghoulam

by
Graeme Jackson

Thursday Aug 24, 2017. 16:30


Napoli’s Algerian left-back Faouzi Ghoulam could well become a transfer target for French Ligue 1 side Monaco.

The principality club wants to have an offer in place which will be activated if defender Fabinho moves to Paris Saint-Germain.

Fabinho and teammate Kylian Mbappé have been linked with a move to PSG for a total fee in excess of €200m, with the Parisian side already spending €222m for Neymar.

According to Rai Sport, Monaco will try to sign the Fennec Foxes defender as a replacement for Fabinho, even though he plays on the opposite flank.

They add that the Partenopei are pushing to renew Ghoulam’s contract, and held a meeting on Monday.

A new deal has yet to be agreed, with Ghoulam set to become a free agent at the end of the current season.



Source link