Sadio Mane of Senegal Sydney Mahlangu/ BackpagePix
Thursday Oct 19, 2017. 13:30
Senegal have announce their squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against South Africa and they have included the injured Liverpool forward Sadio Mane.
Mane has been included despite his existing hamstring strain after he was douubtful for the home and away games against Bafana Bafana on November 10 and 14 respectively.
Liverpool said the forward could be out for up to six weeks on October 10 after he damaged his hamstring in their 2-0 win over Cape Verde in Praia.
“In my mind there’s no doubt he will be with us for the double header against South Africa and that he will be 100% fit,” said Senegal coach Aliou Cisse to BBC.
“Until now, he has just been doing some individual training – running in straight lines – but from next week, he is going to train harder and start working with the ball.”
Cisse’s men need two points from their remaining two qualifiers to ensure their passage to next year’s finals in Russia.
The Lions of Teranga initially lost 2-1 to Stuart Baxter’s men in Polokwane last year, but FIFA ordered a replay after finding Ghanaian referee Joseph Lamptey guilty of match manipulation.
The replayed game will take place in South Africa on 10 November, with Dakar set to host the final qualifier four days later.